Court cuts $50M judgment against Alex Jones over falsely labeling Sandy Hook killings a hoax

9 hours ago  ·  3 min read
By William Smith - sandego.net

Court Cuts $50M Judgment Against Alex Jones

Sandego.net – A unanimous panel of the Texas Third Court of Appeals issued a Friday ruling that slashes the financial exposure of conspiracy theorist Alex Jones in the landmark Sandy Hook defamation case. The court cuts the $50M judgment against Jones down to roughly $6 million, relying on Texas statutes that impose strict ceilings on punitive damages in civil litigation. The decision marks a significant narrowing of liability, though Jones’s legal team says it will push the matter further up the state appellate ladder.

From Newtown to the Defamation Verdict

On December 14, 2012, gunmen stormed Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut, killing 20 first-graders and six teachers. In the weeks that followed, Jones — then the public face of the Infowars media operation — declared on air that the massacre was a government fabrication designed to manufacture support for gun-control legislation. He repeated that claim across his shows and social channels for years, and the families of the slain children and educators testified at trial that his followers bombarded them with death threats, rape threats, in-person intimidation, and sustained online harassment.

Jurors in both the Texas and Connecticut proceedings ultimately found Jones liable for defamation. At the Texas trial, parents Neil Heslin and Scarlett Lewis — whose six-year-old son Jesse was among the children killed — described years of terror and demanded compensation exceeding $150 million. Jones’s attorneys argued no direct causal chain tied him personally to the acts of his supporters, but the jury disagreed.

What the Appeals Panel Kept and What It Stripped

The appellate court preserved more than $4.1 million in compensatory damages awarded to Heslin and Lewis for defamation and emotional distress. What it eliminated was the punitive-damages component: over $45 million in additional penalties was trimmed to $1.5 million, bringing the total into line with Texas’s $750,000-per-plaintiff cap. The panel found the parents had not presented sufficient evidence that the post-incident harassment crossed the threshold needed to justify exceeding that statutory ceiling, and it faulted the trial judge for allowing the parents to seek elevated damages after the jury had already returned its verdict.

Jones, who has continued broadcasting through new streaming platforms after departing the Infowars brand, framed the ruling as a constitutional triumph. “I got lawyers who are good constitutional lawyers and they are not backing down,” he said, announcing plans to petition the Texas Supreme Court to eliminate the remaining damages entirely. He called the decision “a gigantic victory for the First Amendment,” even though the court explicitly upheld the trial judge’s finding that Jones committed defamation. During the original trial, Jones had conceded on the record that the Sandy Hook shootings were “100% real” and acknowledged he had been wrong to spread falsehoods about them.

The Families’ Response and the Broader Liability Picture

Mark Bankston, counsel for Heslin and Lewis in the Texas action, dismissed the reduction as immaterial. “The families care not at all about this irrelevant ruling which affects only two of the 19 claims they all share. Jones still faces over a billion dollars of liability, so this changes absolutely nothing. All it does is highlight the absurdity of Texas law,” Bankston said.

That billion-dollar figure points to a separate $1.25 billion judgment entered against Jones in Connecticut, where a jury found him liable for defamation and intentional infliction of emotional distress across all 26 victims’ families. Jones sought review by the United States Supreme Court but was denied certiorari last year. The stacked judgments have pushed Jones and his company, Free Speech Systems, into bankruptcy proceedings; personal property has been placed at auction, and liquidation proceedings for the parent company continue.

Frequently Asked Questions

How much did the court reduce the judgment to? The Texas appeals panel cut the total award from approximately $50 million to roughly $6 million, preserving compensatory damages while trimming punitive damages to comply with state caps.

Does this end Jones’s legal exposure? No. A separate $1.25 billion Connecticut judgment remains in effect, and Jones has indicated he will appeal the Texas decision to the state’s highest court.

What happened to Infowars? Jones has stepped away from the Infowars brand. Free Speech Systems, the parent company, is undergoing bankruptcy and liquidation proceedings.

More from this category